Thurns Head

Valley of Stone has made serveral improvements to Thurns Head Quarry, including restoration on quarry huts, interpretation boards and a heritage trail.

It is accesible from Cowm Reservoir via the newly cleared Cow Clough Rake.

Thurns Head is an excellent example of a moderate size sandstone quarry of upper Haslingden Flag.  Clearly visible are remains of working faces, workmen's shelters, working platfoms, multi-fingered spoil heaps and tramways through the quarry.  The life-span of the tramway was short; developed around the 1880s and abandoned soon after 1903.

Click here to download a route map of the heritage trail.

Printer icon




Heritage Trail at Thurns Head Quarry
Interpretation exploring life at Thurns Head Quarry