Hall Fold to Walstead Clough tramway


The Thurns Head – Ab Top tramway runs between NGR: SD 879 178 and SD 871 195 and links Thurns Head, Ragstone Brow and Ab Top quarries.

Historical Summary:

Working life: post-1844 (OS 6” 1st edn)/pre-1891 (OS 6” 2nd end). Disused by 1912 (OS 25” map). 

Quarry firms: Served two companies – Jackson’s (Thurns Head) and Maxwell’s (Ab Top).

Transport: Horses and locomotives. The gauge may have been 30” and trucks carried four tons of stone

Guided Walk Approaching Ab Top from Thurnshead

Summary of Surviving Remains: The tramway was narrow gauge approximately 1m wide and is discernable, in places, as a grassed over level platform. In certain areas the trambed is also found contained within slight cuttings. Associated features include a tramway bridge, which would have originally crossed a sunken lane.

Printer icon



Coutouring Trackbed on Steep sided Walstead Clough