Troy Quarry


Troy quarry extends from NGR: SD 763 236 to SD 763 232 and lies at c. 250 m O.D. The quarry can be accessed from a public footpath which runs from Heap Clough and the Rossendale Way also skirts the NW corner of the site.

Historical Summary

Working life: pre-1844 to 1950’s.  G Phillipson & Sons (1936-late 1950’s) (Baldwin & Roberts 1985)

Geology: Lower Haslingden Flags.

Methods: Open pit.

Transport: Haulage track.

Products: Building stone.


1903-1910 Stone from the quarry used in the construction of the Ogden reservoir (Baldwin & Roberts 1985).

1910 Quarry closed (Baldwin & Roberts 1985). 1936 New workings opened to the west by G. Phillipson & Sons (Baldwin & Roberts 1985).

1947 Workers dispute.

Late 1950’s Quarry closed (Baldwin & Roberts 1985).

1960’s North West Water cut a water channel to drain the quarry pool (Baldwin & Roberts 1985).

Field Components Summary-  The evidence for any early phases of quarrying at this site is extremely minimal. The quarry consists of an arcing working face, two rock cut pillars, one of which is reportedly the support for a stone crusher , a pool which has been dammed and has an associated rock cut channel, and a series of grassed over spoil mounds. The cartographic sources indicate, however, that all of these features post-date 1930. The only surviving evidence of pre-1930 quarrying is a linear depression marking the position of an earlier working face which has been buried by quarry spoil.

Stone Pillar Left as Support for Stone Crusher

Printer icon



Stone Pillar as a Support for Stone Crusher